Living in London, sometimes you just have to make your own sunshine. I love starting off the morning with a bright breaky, it’s just the perfect way to set yourself up for the happiest day.
I’m sure you’re no stranger to the wonder ingredient that is turmeric, absolutely everyone seems to be obsessed. But for good reason! It’s pretty damn magical. And the beauty is that you only need a little, and it most certainly goes a long way. Somewhat of an ayurvedic miracle spice, it’s long been praised for it’s anti-inflammatory properties, and is one of the first things my mama used to give me as a little one to cure a cold, along with ginger and lemon.
This beautiful turmeric porridge is made with one of my favourite ancient grains, millet. I love changing up the grains I use to keep things interesting- say goodbye to being stuck in a breakfast rut! Just like quinoa, millet is actually a seed and packed full of plant-based proteins. My fellow veggies and vegans will know just how important getting enough P R O T E I N is to keep us energised and those hunger pangs at bay!
Recipe (for one)
50g millet flakes
1/4 tsp of ground turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cardamom pod
1/2 cup of brown rice milk (or whatever your milky preference may be)
Toppings: My favourite part! I’ve been loving sprinkling lots of bee pollen and grated raw choc on top for some extra goodness. Ooh and flaked almonds. Yum.
- Pour your milk and spices into a pan over high heat
- When the mixture is beginning to heat up after a couple minutes, pop in your millet flakes
- Stir stir stir- the more you mix it up, the creamier your porridge will be
- Lower the heat little if the mixture begins to simmer too much, make sure it doesn’t boil!
- When you’re satisfied with your porridge, pour into a beautiful bowl and top with your favourites.
The next part is pretty simple- snuggle up on the couch and tuck in to the goodness.